Friday, November 18, 2011

I Gotchyer Picture

So today's Google Doodle honors the 224th birthday of French physicist Louis Daguerre, inventor of the daguerreotype.  PCMag.com discusses the process more thoroughly than I possibly could (physics involves math and as such it makes me cry, too) so head there if you're interested in the history and science behind it.  Thanks to Daguerre's work, we have photography and films so thank you from the bottom of my pop culture loving heart.  To celebrate we're going to have a look at some of my favorite photos. 

This one was taken by Life magazine photographer Gjon Mili in 1949.  Graffart.eu discusses Picasso's inspiration and has a gallery of more images from this stunning collaboration.



This one was taken by British photographer/artist/costume designer Cecil Beaton in 1968.  In her autobiography Marianne Faithfull describes herself here as being "very, very stoned."  Really?  Couldn't tell.



My liberty loving heart always beats a little faster when I see this one.  It was taken by Associated Press photographer Jeff Widener on June 5, 1989 as he was watching the action in Tianamen Square from the 6th floor of the Beijing Hotel.


So, what photos do you love?  Or hate?  You're welcome to link to them in the comments.  Today's song is, appropriately, "Photograph" by Ringo Starr and the Roundheads.  Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I could choose almost any photography of Richard Armitage (of course). But if we are talking b&w photography I enjoy Ansel Adams's nature vistas, http://bit.ly/s2h3rp and portraits by Yousuf Karsh. http://bit.ly/s34hms
    Too much to choose from in colour photography! The mind boggles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, phylly3! I love Ansel Adams's work, too, but I'm definitely going to have to check out Yousuf Karsh. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!